Tuesday, October 6, 2009

More about Hong Kong

Sunday, October 4

After settling into my hostel I realized that I was hungry, really hungry. I checked my map and decided to head into Central station to an area known as Lan Kwai Fong. This section of HK sits on a steep hill and is overcrowded with inexpensive restaurants and expensive restaurants and bars. As usual, this is China after all, I was mauled by touts telling me that their restaurant was the best. These places seem to be the most expensive so I decided to continue walking.

In a quieter corner of things I met two Indian touts who were only a bit enthusiastic at getting me to eat at their restaurant. This was the place for me. The Chuck Masala was delicious and it was honestly one of the most filling meals I had eaten in a while.

Now it was time to hit the bars. Drinking alone is one of the few drawbacks to traveling alone. Usually I am a chameleon who fits in just about anywhere but I quickly realized something strange about Lan Kwai Fong, everyone was beautiful. I inquired the profession of the man with the striking jaw who had taken the seat next to me. He said, "I am a model," in a tone that begged me, "Can't you tell how beautiful I am?". I finished that drink and headed up the hill looking for a place where I would feel less out of place in a twenty dollar polo.

Down a small side street came my salvation. Just up the hill from the Lan Kwai Fan area is a small street with several Irish Pubs. I chose one, Bulldogs, and sat down at the bar. The array of draft beers offered was mind numbing. Yes to all, please! All of a sudden the music stopped and I could here massive amounts of screaming through the speakers. What was this? I turned around to find the second half of the Arsenal Bolton game underway. Ahh, this was heaven.

More to come including lambos and porches, why hiking is fun, and the HK playground. Today I am off to Macau... Who's feeling lucky?

No comments:

Post a Comment