Sunday, October 18, 2009

A note about coming home

When I returned to the real China from my whirlwind adventure in HK and Macau I felt a sense of comfort returning to me. Here I knew which direction the insane drivers were coming from. Here I could not understand what someone was saying in a language I was familiar with. But most importantly here is where my home is.

I had pondered how I would feel to go on vacation and RETURN to China. I am relieved to say that my comfort with my new home has given me a sense of ownership over it. It was weird being in a place where foreigners sit in a cafe around every corner. I spent the morning after my exhausting train trip from Shenzhen walking the just-waking streets of Changsha. I smiled dumbly and repeated my arsenal of Mandarin phrases to each person I met.

I was home, and I was loving it. I just needed to get to the east bus station and then it was only a short hop to Liuyang. Unfortunately the city bus I boarded was travelling the wrong direction and I didn't realize it until I arrived at the west bus station. 113 stops and 1 hour and 10 minutes later I was on my way to Liuyang. Maybe this place isn't completely comfortable but it is home... for now.
C. Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment