Friday, January 29, 2010

Cameron Highlands

Today was great. I cannot believe that I have only been on vacation for a week... so much has happened. The Highlands is a mostly ethnically Malay area that has a strong British colonial presence. Tanah Rata is an extremely small town mildly famous for its tea farms and jungle walking trails. It is actually a bit chilly up here, surprising considering the staggering heat of KL.

This morning I went for a hike on Jungle Walk #8 and Jungle Walk #2. The going was strenuous and to be honest the trails were pretty poorly maintained. At times I found myself climbing on all fours to get up steep and root infested inclines. Coming down the hills was even more exciting and I am almost surprised that I didn't roll an ankle. Twice while descending I slipped and ended up sliding several feet on my but. Nothing could have wiped the smile from my face. The jungle was absolutely gorgeous and now I can finally say that I have visited a rain forest! Along my way I saw a couple of really neat water falls as well.

I ate at a Malaysian fast food chain for lunch and it was pretty good. This afternoon I walked to the neighboring town of Brinchang and visited four religious structures of four different religions. Malaysia is great. At the Hindu temple I was transported right back to my time in India. I then visited a traditional Chinese Buddhist and Sikh temples followed by a Islamic Mosque. I did all this with a Chilean guy I met on the trails named Cris.

Now I'm sitting in a internet cafe playing American music and thinking of home... home in China. It is kind of intimidating to think about continuing to live out of a bag for another four weeks but at the same time I am super excited to have the time off work. As expected their have been some more itinerary changes. Tomorrow I will stay here in Tarah Rata. The next day I will be going to a beach near Lumut, on the west coast, for two days. Then Melaka for a day and a half, then Singapore for two days, then Thailand and Cambodia. Talk to ya when I get there,
C. Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment