Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 1 in KL

Hungover. The plan for today was originally to head down to Singapore... not a short trip! However seeing as I have made plenty of cool friends here in KL I figured I would switch things up a bit and do my Kuala Lumpur stuff first. Then I will head up to the Cameron Highlands for at least two days. Next it will be on to Singapore where I may even make a day trip to Indo! Lastly I will go to Melaka, Malaysia for one full day of relaxed small town life.

Today I visited the incredible PETRONAS Towers of Kuala Lumpur. The third largest buildings on planet earth, the towers were designed to resemble a Muslim eight pointed star. I have had a secret fascination with the towers for years and going to see them today was a blast. The thing that really surprised me about the towers is how bulky they were. Nothing like the thin little Puzz 3D I made of them several summers ago. They shoot prominently up into the sky above KL's Golden Triangle district, and there are no other buildings, save the KL TV tower on the other side of town, that come within thirty stories of the PETRONAS CEO's office. PETRONAS is Malaysia's leading, and only visible, provider of fuel and natural gas and the video introduction we were shown before going to the observation deck almost made me sensitive to the interests of Big Oil... Almost. A mega mall is situated at the base of the towers and walking around it was just what I needed to soothe my anxiety over six long months in China.

Tomorrow will find me at the National Museum and hopefully a couple of mosques as well. The diversity here is incredible and it is definitely something that I will post on when I have a less exciting day.

Talk to ya when I get there,
C. Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment