Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Leisurely Pace

Today I tried to see as much of KL as I could. I started by walking out of Chinatown, where my hostel is located, towards an area of the city that has large and reputably beautiful gardens. Unfortunately the gardens eluded me but I was able to enjoy my walk just the same. The first major landmark I encountered was the commuter train station which is built in the old British Raj style of architecture I became familiar with in India several years age. Unlike the ones in India, this station was tranquil, quiet, and clean. I snapped a few pictures and took a stroll through the small museum attached to the station. After that I was once again pushing through the tremendous Malay heat and humidity.

Before I knew it I found myself in the ultra modern KL Sentral Stesen (spelling correct). The differences between the old and new stations could not be overstated. KL Sentral was positively bustling. In its only terminal Sentral offers long and short distance buses, monorail, airport transit, commuter trains, and long range train services. I will pass through it no fewer than six times during my stay in Malaysia.

I next walked through a neighborhood called Chow Kit, the real Chinatown. In the past few days I have noticed that the neighborhood Malaysians call Chinatown has very few Chinese people in it and I decided to investigate by traveling to the location that many Chinese Malays consider to be the real Chinatown. Except for being devoid of trash, the presence of enforced traffic laws and the overall polite nature of its inhabitants Chow Kit could have been in China. I got my favorite Chinese breakfast, although it was my second meal of the day, and walked on.

My next destination was the Muslim hub of KL, centered around the grand Masjid (Mosque) Jamek. Surprisingly the namesake of this neighborhood actually proved difficult to find, but I did investigate the smaller Masjid India. I also went to Merdaka Square, the colonial hub of KL.

This city is remarkably clean and well managed. It is abundant with green spaces and they never seem to be forced as opiates for a downtrodden and over polluted public. Within the ultramodern interiors of KL I have found the most diverse culture that could exist in our modern world. In the food court at the PETRONAS mall you will find Muslim girls and Hindu boys with Thai men and women all eating shopping and socializing within the confines of the same society. With any luck I'll be heading to the Cameron Highlands tomorrow....
Talk to you when I get there,
C. Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment