Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Kanchanaburi

OK! So the plan for yesterday was to lounge around and do nothing. Epically failing that, I decided to go out to the Tiger Temple which is about 45 minutes from Kanchanaburi. The thing isn't so much a temple as it is a place for doped up tigers to hang out. The idea is that the tourists get to have their picture taken with 500 lbs tigers without getting there head ripped off. Now while one cannot be certain, it does seem like they have given the tigers some downers before letting the tourists play with them. The most I got by way of a reaction from one of these beast was a bemused nod, "ya okay, you're touching me, get it over with." I do not want to sound wholly negative towards the place though. It doubles as an animal rescue and reserve housing everything from one goat and two peacocks to several large herds of cattle. Also wild tigers are something of a rarity so even if they are doping them, the money they are raising is keeping the species alive.

Last night some friends from Holland and Germany and I went out of 10 Baht drinks. Think nickel shot night. It was a glorious conclusion of the trip.

Today I will catch a bus back to Bangkok where I'll shack up for just one more night. Tomorrow I'm gonna do some final preparations for my trip home: buy a shirt or two, repack my bag, and confirm my flight. I'll also need to find Aimee and the airport, in no particular order, and then it is back to China for me. The plan as it stands now will be to spend a day in Guangzhou with Binka then get back to Liuyang on Friday... giving myself a whole two days before classes start to rest up, lesson plan, and contemplate life!

2 comments:

  1. 10 baht is not a nickel, stupid head.

    10 baht is about 30 cents. I'm just saaaaayin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite confused by the days and nights and when you write your postings and what time it is in Asia right now....

    Have safe travels back to your China-home... and let us know when you arrive. Can't wait to see more pictures.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete