Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Melaka

So today was great... as usual. Melaka is a really cool city because it has blended so many different societies together. I am staying in Chinatown and it reminds me a ton of home. Crowded tight alleys, steep tiled roofs, and Chinese food. I didn't realize how much I missed it. The hostel itself is just a gigantic dormitory with 20 or so beds, not the most private locale, but it is comfortable. Today I woke up super early (8a.m.) and started my day of sightseeing. First up was the old Dutch center of town. The different architectural styles made me feel like I had walked to the other side of the earth when all I had done was walk across a bridge. I visited the ruins of a centuries old Portuguese Church and took a few pictures of the famous Straights of Melaka. The area immediately to the north is the museum district and I spent the better part of my day shifting from the A/C to the heat. The museums cover everything from ancient Javanese and Siamese traders and Malaysian Sultans to the creation of the modern Islamic state. There was even a special exhibit on the history of torture... very, very scary. Then I headed back into Chinatown for some food and some temples. The most impressive temple in Melaka is the Cheng Hoon Chinese Buddhist temple, just down the street from my hostel. It was absolutely gorgeous and I was lucky enough to be there for the start of the afternoon offering service. All of this is set in the backdrop of the five times daily call to prayer from the mosques. Absolutely the most wonderful sound I have ever heard. Hopefully I'll be able to have some fun tonight as I need to budget myself in expensive Singapore.
C. Johnson

P.S. I'm having trouble uploading photos from today but hopefully they will come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment